CIRDI’s board oversees strategic direction, reviews activities and approves annual budgets. The members are:
- Margaret Catley-Carlson, O.C., former president of CIDA
- Ali Dastmalchian, dean of the Beedie School of Business, Simon Fraser University (SFU)
- Cassie Doyle, chief executive officer, CIRDI (ex officio, non-voting)
- Craig Ford, president Corporate Responsibility Solutions Inc.
- Doug Horswill, former senior vice-president, sustainability, Teck Resources
- Louise Millette, director, Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering; head, Sustainable Development Office, Polytechnique Montréal (PM)
- Moura Quayle (chair), director, Liu Institute for Global Issues; professor, strategic design, University of British Columbia (UBC)
- Ingrid Leman Stefanovic, dean of the Faculty of Environment, Simon Fraser University (SFU)
- Dirk van Zyl , professor and chair of Mining and the Environment at the Norman B. Keevil Institute of Mining Engineering, University of British Columbia (UBC)
The executive committee provides leadership to the Institute and oversees the implementation of CIRDI’s strategic plan. The members are:
- Chris Bastien, manager, finance
- Kirsten Dales, director, program development
- Cassie Doyle, chief executive officer
- Gilian Dusting, manager, communications and media relations
- Mike Ellerbeck, associate director, programs
- Elaine Pura, chief operating officer and director of international programs
- Rob Stevens, director, partnerships and learning
- Isabeau Vilandre, director, SUMM project
The academic directorate participates on the executive committee and provides advice on implementing the Institute’s applied research and education/training mandate.
- Nadja Kunz, assistant professor, Liu Institute for Global Issues & Norman B Keevil Mining Engineering, UBC
- Richard Simon, associate professor, Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering, PM
- Eric Werker, associate professor, Strategy and International Business, Beedie School of Business, SFU
Finance and Audit Committee
CIRDI’s finance and audit committee oversees the financial affairs of the Institute and implementation of financial and accounting policies consistent with the purpose of the Institute. Reporting to the CIRDI Board, the FAC is responsible for the following activities related to the governance of the Institute:
- overseeing the integrity of the Institute’s financial management and reporting systems;
- overseeing the effectiveness of the Institute’s internal controls;
- ensuring the independence of the Institute’s external auditors;
- monitoring risk management policies and systems.
The committee includes a representative from each coalition partner (UBC, SFU and PM). The members are:
- Cassie Doyle, CEO, CIRDI
- Francois Filiatrault, assistant director, finance, PM
- Brian Lee, assistant dean, Faculty of Arts, UBC
- Mark Zimmerman, director of strategy, planning and projects, VPFA’s Office, SFU
CIRDI’s advisory council provides knowledge, advice and insights from diverse perspectives to inform the Institute’s work and strategic direction.
The council comprises representatives from government, industry, academia, NGOs, indigenous communities and international organizations focused on resource sector governance, integrated natural resource management, economic development and poverty reduction.
The advisory council meets twice a year. Its members serve as volunteers. One seat is designated for a representative from Global Affairs Canada. Otherwise, members participate as individuals rather than as representatives of an organization. In order to encourage openness and the sharing of information, the CIRDI advisory council operates under the Chatham House Rule.
CIRDI advisory council membership
- Cynthia Callison, founding partner, Callison & Hanna, Indigenous Advocate
- Ben Chalmers, vice president, sustainable development, Mining Association of Canada
- Andrew Cheatle, executive director, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
- Steve D’Esposito, President, RESOLVE, Inc.
- Janine Ferretti, chief, Environmental Safeguards Unit, Inter-American Development Bank
- Susan Joyce, president, On Common Ground Consultants Inc.
- Patricia Peña, director general, Global Affairs Canada
- Christopher Sheldon, practice manager, energy & extractives, World Bank
- Bruce Sprague, BC Market leader, mining & metals, Ernst & Young
- Ted Thomas, enterprise risk (sustainability & climate change), Deloitte