The Canadian International Resources and Development Institute (CIRDI) was founded in 2013 by three leading universities: University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University and Polytechnique Montréal. We are an independent centre of expertise in natural resource-led development, and we work at the request of developing country governments that seek to strengthen their capacity to govern and manage their natural resources for the benefit of their people. With Canadian and international partners, we provide leading-practice advice, technical support, training and applied research as well as a platform for innovative thinking, knowledge mobilization and shared learning. Our academic and operational independence enables us to act as a neutral convener in complex, multi-stakeholder environments. We concentrate our efforts in three areas: improving public sector capacity and governance, strengthening integrated resource management and transforming artisanal and small-scale mining.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Communications and Events Manager develops and executes a wide variety of communication and event plans and projects designed to disseminate CIRDI’s work and activities and to continue to build CIRDI’s external community engagement, reputation, brand and vision.
- Develop and implement communication strategies that position the Institute for maximum coverage nationally and internationally and align with Institute and community engagement objectives.
- Develop and implement a comprehensively integrated multi-media, coalition-wide communications plans and projects including social media, web and print environments.
- Develop, design and manage CIRDI events that support the dissemination of CIRDI’s work, build partnerships and enhance our reputation. These include conferences, training, speaker series, open houses, workshops and seminars nationally and internationally.
- Maintain, enhance, create content and manage the design of CIRDI’s web presence by ensuring that the organization’s website represents the full vibrancy of CIRDI’s programming and impact.
- Oversee print and digital communications including reports, media releases, video, advertising/branding/marketing materials, and publications.
- Develop and design visual communication and marketing material. Liaise with graphic designers as needed.
- Ensure that the Institute’s online strategy and digital communication leverage leading technology and best communications practice to effectively represent the Institute.
- Maintain and develop brand and style guides and templates for print material and web content, including branding, style and navigation rules, page layouts, accessibility requirements, etc. Support staff and consultants with following CIRDI’s brand and style guides.
- Develop and oversee CIRDI’s social media strategy to maximize the impact of CIRDI’s work nationally and internationally. Provide analysis to determine the need for new web-based or mobile self-service applications.
- Design and oversee integrated marketing campaigns in both digital and traditional media environments promoting the Institute’s services and training opportunities.
- Develop marketing plans, invitations, print and digital material for CIRDI events.
- Identify opportunities for CIRDI to disseminate its works, build awareness and enhance its reputation through events, speaking engagements, print and digital publications and partnership engagement.
- Develop, write and design content for the Institute’s website and annual report.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of crisis communication strategies and special communication issues.
- Foster relationships with key media; actively pitch innovative story ideas to a broad range of media.
- Respond to media inquiries and refers media to Directors, experts or other sources of information and provides factual background information.
- Write scripts, speaking notes and key messages for media, events and community engagement events that positively impact the presence and reputation of the Institute.
- Manage the bilingual communication requirements of the CIRDI website and print material, coordinate with translation services as required.
- Assess comprehensive communication needs with Directors; formulates objectives that includes an evaluation of performance metrics and provides recommendations on priorities.
- Performs ongoing analyses and monitoring to ensure alignment with objectives.
Works with considerable latitude within a broad policy framework. Work is reviewed in terms of effectiveness of development and implementation of communication plans and projects. Reports directly to the Director of Partnerships and Learning.
The Communications and Events Manager works with a team of employees including management and support positions as well as student workers; manages contract consultants and external service providers as required.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline, graduate degree preferred in communications, media, public relations or related discipline. Minimum of six years’ experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in managing communications for small to medium-sized organizations. Experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders and interests, and managing sensitive issues. Experience working in a complex private or public sector organization, with international development and/or in the natural resource/mining sector experience is an asset. Creative thinker with the ability to conceptualize and provide strategic communications advice and plans. Superior writing and editing skills, including developing compelling stories for digital mediums. Strong graphic design and communication skills, proficient with graphic design software, in particular, Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop). Working knowledge of WordPress. Track record of building digital and social media engagement. Superb interpersonal, stakeholder and team management skills. Ability to work in an environment that is decentralized, complex and with a diverse range of stakeholders. Ability to work effectively with various levels of staff, faculty and strategic partners. Ability to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines. Exceptional organizational and multitasking skills required. Ability to write and speak English is essential. Proficiency in French or Spanish is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like you, please send your cover letter and resume to YWMuaWRyaWNAc3JlZXJhYw== with the subject line: Communications and Events Manager. We kindly ask for no phone calls, please. Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank all applicants for their interest.